The Christian community is to be counter-cultural and yet we are to live in such a way that our influence is compelling to the world around us.
Scripture: Titus 3:1-8
- All members of a gospel-centred church should grow in godliness within the Christian community.
- Reading the book of Titus is as if Jesus is speaking to us directly.
- The teaching of the apostles is meant to guide and guard the church.
- The teaching of salvation is by unconditional grace; teaching is to be with authority; and it is to include direction regarding right conduct (Titus 1:1, 9).
- Sound doctrine is the life blood of growth in godliness.
- Without sound doctrine we see moral and spiritual decay.
- Paul commands that elders be appointed to teach sound doctrine. Titus is appointed as a gentile.
- Godliness is the action and response of faith.
- The qualities and lifestyle requirements of an elder are found in Titus 1:6-9.
- These characteristics and the office of elder should be desired by young men.
- We each have a responsibility toward the Christian community.
- Elders are to encourage and instruct others and false teachers are to be silenced.
- Older men and women are to be examples (Titus 2:1-8).
- Internal dissension is to be disciplined out of the church (Titus 3:9-11). Those who deny Christ by their actions are detestable, disobedient, and unfit for any good work.
- All members are to take responsibility for the spiritual good of others.
- Christians are to be counter-cultural, living by God’s ethical standards so that the Word of God may not be brought into disrepute and so that unbelievers may be won over by our godly living (Titus 2:5 cf. 1 Pet. 3:1).
- Strong, zealous family worship is essential to revitalize godly Christian influence in society.
- We’re to submit to rulers and authorities, showing perfect courtesy toward all people.
- What are God’s priorities for mature gospel-centred community and ministry from the book of Titus?
- What are the qualities of mature Christian leadership found in Titus 1?
- Why is family worship so essential to a godly Christian influence in the world?
- How can we take action for the spiritual good of others this week?